Required Documents

We regularly get customers come to us wanting to have number plates made for their cars but we turn them away as they do not have the correct documentation with them. Please take the time to ensure you have at least one item from the identity documents list and one from the registration number list so we can help you as best we can.

We need to see original documentation that will prove your name, address and that you are allowed to use the registration number.

Identity Documents

You can use one of the following to confirm your name and address:

  • Driving Licence
  • Utility, Council Tax or rates bill from the last 6 months
  • Bank or Building society statement from the last 6 months
  • National Identity Card

The following will confirm your name only:

  • Passport – does not need to be issued in the UK
  • Bank or Building society debit or credit card
  • Police warrant card
  • Armed forces identity card

Proving you can use the Registration Number

You must bring one of the following to prove you can use the Registraion Number:

  • Vehicle Registration CertificateĀ (V5C or V5CNI)
  • New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2 or V5C/2NI)
  • Certificate of Entitlement (V750 or V750NI) to the number
  • Retention Document (V778) – not applicableĀ in Northern Ireland
  • Renewal reminder for Tax Disk or SORN (V11 or V11NI)
  • Temporary Registration Certificate (V379 or V379NI)
  • Number plate Authorisation Certificate (V948) with an official stamp from the Driving and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA) or DVSA
  • Letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) quoting the document reference number from the Registration Certificate (V5C or V5CNI)